When I was a tiny baby crying all night, my mom sang to me and stayed by my side. 当我是个小宝宝整夜哭闹的时候,妈妈依偎在我身旁,唱歌送我入梦乡。
When I was tired and hungry, she gave me food and warm arms to sleep in. 当我累了饿了的时候,妈妈给我食物和休憩的温暖怀抱。
When I was two running through the field, she made sure I was safe and kept me from danger.
当我两岁在田野里奔跑的时候,她确保我的安全,让我远离危险。
When I fell and hurt myself, she gave me a hug and lifted me up. 当我摔倒受伤的时候,她给我拥抱,扶我站好。
When I was seven coughing badly, she said no ice-cream for me. 七岁的我剧烈咳嗽,她说我不该吃冰激凌。
But I talked back loudly, ―I should be allowed to eat some! Give it to me now!‖ 我却大声反驳,“应该允许我吃一些!现在就给我!”
When I was nine watching scary movies, she said it’d give me awful dreams. 九岁的我看恐怖电影,她说电影会带给我噩梦。
But I shouted back angrily, ―I should be allowed to watch it! I’m not a baby!‖ 我却愤怒地回应,“应该允许我看!我不是小孩!”
When I was a teen going out with friends, she said, ―Please be back by ten!‖ 青少年的我和朋友外出闲逛,她说,“请在十点之前回来!”
But I talked back again — ―I should not be told what to do! I’m seventeen now!‖ 我却再次顶嘴——“不需要你告诉我什么该不该!我已经17岁了!”
Now I’m an adult, thinking back to those times. 现在我已长大成人,回想那过去的时光。
I coughed for days after eating that ice-cream 吃了冰激凌让我咳嗽不止
And had scary dreams after watching that film. 看了恐怖电影让我噩梦连连。
I was late for school from staying out past ten. 上学迟到只因10点还在外游荡。
I regret talking back, not listening to Mom.
我真后悔呀!后悔不该顶嘴,后悔没听妈妈的忠告。
Mom knows best, and for me she wanted only the best! 妈妈最了解孩子,她只是想怎样对我最好!